Sunday, June 21, 2020

Feet on the ground, dreams up in the sky

Hello, hope all is well.

When I was in highschool, I didn't have the slightest idea on what career I would want. I didn't know what I actually wanted to do. My dreams were vague, blurry, and very uncertain. But I knew I didn't want to sit around a desk and work nine to five for the rest of my life. The thought itself dreads me. I wanted something that would give me the freedom to work on my own terms, to allow me to express my creative ways in dealing things, that would let me wildly grow in and out of my comfort zone. And then I heard my tita was finally flying out of the country to venture for the aviation industry in the Middle East. I thought to myself, the aviation industry does seem fascinating. I didn't have to deal with paperworks and computer data jobs. I'll be work for the excitement. I'll be working beyond the limits, out to the skies. And that's how I ended up spending four years in college studying that degree and now two years working for the aviation industry. But since the pandemic started, we weren't able to work as much as we used to. I'm stuck at home for nearly 3 months now and flights had barely returned. And I miss it, so much. I miss my workplace, my colleagues, the aircraft, the daily excitement of what's next, our unexpected change of schedules and endless body adjustments from working night shifts to day shifts every other day. Horrible, but I somehow miss it too. 



So to tend to my 'missing the airport' hours, here's a peek on my daily life a few months ago:

On normal day shifts, I usually need to wake up 3 hours before my time-in. I live three cities away from the airport (yes, I am dealing with this distance for nearly two years now), and I drive from home an hour after. At 6 am, I go for time-in and wait for the others to come so we could start applying make-up together. You know how it's always better to do things together right? Putting on make-up usually takes 30 minutes or more, but we do it as quickly as we could since we have a flight briefing which normally happens an hour after our scheduled time-in. So yes, we get paid as we do our make-up! 

After make-up preparations, we'd change into our working shoes and tidy everything before entering the departure area where our operational office is, and start our briefing at 7 am. The assigned supervisor always gives us new roles everyday. Exciting, isn't it? I could work for the check-in desks today and move for the arrivals tomorrow. So it's always so different and it rarely gets boring. This is the place where time isn't even a problem, it's even our companion. We handle flights daily and we're tasked to finish them as fast and concise as possible. So it's us, the agents, who run after it and not the other way around. (I do know how boring it is to work for a job where you'd always wish time went by faster.)




Deployments range from the check-in desks, boarding gates, aircraft coordinators (different agents for departure and arrival), transfer desks, flight/seat controllers, and document representatives. The wide range given to us is what's keeping us on the edge of our seats everyday.

7:30 and the briefing ends. Supposed we have 3 flights to handle today and the first flight departs at 12 pm. Check-in counters are expected to open FOUR hours before the departure time, so designated check-in agents  prepare themselves by 8 am to open their desks and accept passengers. This role will trail until the end of the flights which is important to keep the coordination. 

Boarding officers are on standby and sometimes work an hour or two before the boarding time. That also includes aircraft coordinators who are assigned to prepare everything that's needed for the aircraft to depart. Both work hand-in-hand since everything that happens inside the airport will somehow lead down towards the departing aircraft. 

Seat controllers are held responsible for managing the arrangement of the seats on board and ensuring that check-in agents are aware of the on-going status throughout the duration of the flights. They also connect from baggage masters (agents in-charge of tallying baggage and getting them into the aircraft safe and complete.) to the boarding gate agents in hopes of getting all the information perfect and arranged before departure.

Document representation is almost everyone's favorite. They're in charge of preparing and getting all the documents signed and ready for the flight. These documents are very important and anyone assigned must always keep a keen and fresh mind. This role is actually that little break we get from the normal interactions we get with passengers. Sometimes we get so tired of all the social interaction that we would only want to work behind all that noise and do everything in our own pace. Documents are then endorsed down to the flight purser upon departure. They need these documents upon arrival to their next destination.

And that's how your entire flight successfully departs. That's one flight down, two more to go. Sometimes we get flight times that are muddled up with each other. So when the first flight departs out of Cebu, everyone moves on to catch the next flight. It can get even more challenging when flights are only minutes apart. Radio communication is hard, manpower can be limited and passengers get confused with the announcements. We need to do extra work on organizing better and ensuring passengers are on their correct flights. 



Working in ground aviation is indeed a challenge on teamwork, patience, and cooperation. We work for more than nine hours a day but I am telling you, none of those days felt like one. We would even be surprised at how fast time flies, and in between flights, we get extra breaks where no one would bother where we are or what we're doing. As long as we show up in time to complete our deployment, the supervisors and managers couldn't care less where we'd be. All that free time is all ours! (Top secret, we sometimes sneak out during long free time. We go out to get drinks or eat unli-chicken. We once experienced dragging out one workmate out from work to go to Busay (that's miles away) and get her back safely just before her expected time. Don't ever follow these ideas thoug :( they're risky! But still worth the adrenaline rush. Oops.) 

Memories pile up everyday. New chikas and 'adventures' can happen to you and your colleagues anytime. You can get a problematic passenger, an out-of-the-world scary flight crew, or worst, a unexpected damaged aircraft! You also meet all kinds of people, from different countries, speaking different languages. You get to know them quickly or some might even remember you until their next flight. Rowdy passengers are always present but we've all learned to put on the tough face and ignore any of our personal feelings. Pleasant and kind passengers are more than enough to cover up the negative encounters we've had with the others. 

As I am writing this, the night is getting colder and I can't help but feel more sad. I just know that I love doing what I am doing and gives me that sense of fulfillment. I love looking at the aircraft, the runway, the vast land, even the taxiway lights that twinkle during night shifts. I love watching them fly out to the sky and it never felt monotonous. I love working with great people and getting ideas out of my head where the environment would appreciate it. I love getting dolled up, doing my hair and make-up, feeling good and looking nice for myself and for my passengers. My co-workers have also became my closest friends, and I guess that's what happens when you do things together all the time, from doing make-up to working things down in calming a passenger! My sense of belongingness and individuality thrived throughout my working days, and I couldn't be any more thankful. I never thought I'd be able to live my younger years fully appreciating my career. It's only until these days that I see it all when it's no longer in my hands. 



To my fellow aviation friends who miss the sound of these giant engines and the laughter of endless stories with your co-workers, we will get there again. We will get these aircraft rolling and flying out to the sky after this pandemic. We will once again put on our wings and take our passengers home safely. Until then, we will pray for everyone's safety. The world will heal and the skies will soon be ours again.



Here's to the madness and unlimited possibilities.

Anne x




No comments:

Post a Comment